Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami, Florida (www.vizcaya.org). The Executive Assistant reports to the Executive Director/CEO (ED/CEO) and is responsible for administrative oversight of the Director’s Office and the coordination of meetings and communications with staff, the Board of Directors and other stakeholders. The Executive Assistant’s role includes support of employee morale activities through deployment of a weekly all-staff eblast and participation in the internal Employee Success Committee. The successful candidate will embrace and model Vizcaya’s emphasis on environmental sustainability and equity and inclusion and enjoy engaging collaboratively and strategically with colleagues and the Board of Directors to improve Vizcaya’s operations, communications and impact. At the same time, the Executive Assistant is responsible for respecting the confidentiality of matters that pass through the Director’s Office, while ensuring compliance with State of Florida Government in the Sunshine requirements for public meetings and public records. The Executive Assistant utilizes considerable independent judgment in managing the office and acting and communicating on behalf of the ED/CEO.
Vizcaya is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. Our mission is to preserve the estate’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
· Manage the ED/CEO’s calendar and schedules virtual and in-person staff meetings, including biweekly meetings with the leadership team, biweekly meetings with individual team leaders and monthly all-staff meetings. Help to develop strategic agendas, organizes logistics and tracks RSVPS. Arrange refreshments for in-person all-staff meetings approximately four times per year.
· Schedule virtual and in-person Board of Director meetings (approximately six per year) and Board committee meetings (approximately 30 per year); transmit meeting materials, track RSVPs, and follow up on attendance. Organize logistics, take meeting minutes and acquire refreshments for the approximately six Board meetings held each year.
· Compile bimonthly Strategic Highlights report, securing, editing and formatting submissions from department directors.
· Compile and disseminate weekly all-staff eblast, editing and formatting submissions by colleagues using Mail Chimp or related software.
· Participate in internal Employee Success committee on behalf of the Director’s Office and support initiatives to build employee morale.
· Support environmental sustainability efforts in staff and Board meetings and in day-to-day work.
· Track Board attendance, committee participation, terms of service and annual submission of compliance and disclosure paperwork.
· Update Board and staff contact lists and relevant standard operating procedures.
· Review and process Director’s Office payment requests and credit card reconciliations.
· Answer and screen the ED/CEO’s mail, telephone calls and in-person visitors.
· Track and update organizational memberships in multiple professional organizations.
· Track the internal distribution and sales of selected publications and audio-video productions.
· Organize the ED/CEO’s periodic professional travel arrangements as required.
· Manage Director’s Office digital and paper files in accordance with record retention requirements.
General Responsibilities of All Administrators
· Achieve meaningful and timely actions that advance Vizcaya’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
· Help to sustain and grow Vizcaya’s revenues and participate in pursuing funding opportunities.
· Proactively promote communication, collaboration and customer service.
· Engage in internal committees as appropriate and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
· Understand and comply with Vizcaya’s policies and procedures.
This job description is not designed to be comprehensive; duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
· At least 3 years of work experience in an administrative capacity, including extensive experience planning meetings.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and accurately, to edit the writing of others and to ensure that all work products are properly formatted and comply with graphic standards.
· Positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and commitment to teambuilding, collaboration and customer service.
· Flexibility, interest in innovation, comfort with multitasking.
· Demonstrated project management and financial management skills.
· Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality when needed.
· Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Adobe PDF.
· English fluency.
Factors Vizcaya Will Consider When Evaluating Applicants and Determining Compensation
· Additional relevant work experience, training and/or education, including experience in the non-profit sector and with Boards.
· Experience with environmental sustainability and/or diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion initiatives in the workplace (DEAI).
· Experience writing policies and procedures.
· Experience with Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
· Spanish, Haitian Creole or other language skills.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens offers competitive compensation with generous paid leave, retirement benefits, and robust medical and other insurance for full-time employees. Salary will be based on the selected candidate’s experience and skills. The anticipated compensation is approximately $60,000 for someone meeting the requirements of the position to approximately $65,000 for someone exceeding them.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The majority of work is done in an office setting, with extensive interaction with staff, Board members and other constituents. The position involves periodic meeting room and refreshments set up and break down. Vizcaya is a non-smoking environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Schedule
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position, Monday through Friday. Periodic evening and weekend work is required.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest in this position to: HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line of your email.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is committed to equity and inclusion and is engaged in a strategic process to ensure that our staff, Board and volunteers reflect our community’s diversity. Vizcaya welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in cultural organizations and seeks to recruit, develop and retain a diverse workforce.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Vizcaya respects people of all backgrounds and does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, familial status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics protected by law.
Updated April 12, 2022