Director of Finance & Operations– Full Time/Exempt
Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire®
At Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire, we grant life changing wishes to children with critical illnesses. The Director of Operations and Finance is a key member of the Foundation’s leadership team and provides organization-wide oversight and strategic thought including budgeting, strategic planning, and compliance with national and local governing policies. The Director of Operations and Finance directs and oversees all central operating functions for the Foundation, including finance, technology, and office administration.
The Director of Finance and Operations plays an integral role in the chapter’s overall Operations and Finance team. In addition, the incumbent may be required to perform other job-related tasks and duties as directed.
Financial Management & Oversight
• Plans, implements, directs and evaluates the Foundation’s financial function and performance in partnership with the CEO.
• Works with Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Board of Directors to develop and manage the annual budget, long- term strategic financial planning and cash flow management.
• Serves as the primary point of contact to the Foundation’s outsourced accounting provider, Shared Financial Services (SFS) at Make-A-Wish America and works directly with them to assure preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements.
• Monitors financial budget variances with SFS, SLT and CEO and prepares monthly financial reports to management and Board of Directors.
• Provides timely and accurate analysis of budgets, forecasts, financial reports, financial statements, and financial trends to assist the CEO, the Board, and other senior leaders in performing their responsibilities.
• Reviews investment activity and prepares reports for SLT, Finance Committee, and the Board.
• Serves as a staff liaison to the Finance Committee.
• Creates, updates and maintains the Foundation’s Internal Control Manual and Operating Policies and Procedures in accordance with National and local policies and enforces compliance.
• Oversees preparation of the annual financial audit and Form 990.
• Assists the CEO as needed within the financial capacity of above responsibilities.
Operations & Support
• Oversees the Foundation’s office management functions ensuring smooth daily operations.
• Provides risk management support through review of letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
• Directs and implements technology initiatives.
• Manages raffle policies, business licenses, insurance policies, claims and procedures.
• Works with the CEO to provide staff support and guidance to the Board of Directors and act as staff liaison to relevant board committees.
• Identifies and communicates to chapter leadership all potential opportunities and/or relationships that will increase our chapter’s ability to raise funds and grant wishes.
• Identifies challenges and recommend solutions to senior leadership; balance competing priorities and work collaboratively with colleagues.
• Ensures chapter compliance with MAWFA governing policies, performance standards and guidelines across functional areas.
• Advises direct supervisor of matters of importance relating to areas of responsibility.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Adherence to deadlines, strong organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to fully contribute to a collaborative, team-oriented, fast-paced organization.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills to clearly communicate with all employees, volunteers, donors, the Board of Directors, CEO and other senior leaders in a clear, business-like and respectful manner, which focuses on generating a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
• CPA or MBA preferred.
• Minimum five years professional experience in non-profit finance preferred.
• Microsoft Office proficiency (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint), advanced Excel skills required.
• NetSuite experience preferred.
• Administration, management, supervision, management experience preferred.
• Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
• Requires a passion for and commitment to the work of Make-A-Wish.
• The ability to drive a car, lift 25 pounds in and out of a vehicle, sit and work at a computer or stand for periods of time.
Working safely is a condition of employment. Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire is a drug-free workplace. The employee will be expected to work the hours necessary to meet the position requirements.
Make-A-Wish Orange County & the Inland Empire is committed to championing diversity, equity, and inclusion, fostering an organization that is accessible and welcoming. Make-A-Wish is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Make-A-Wish Foundation is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, as required by law.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Subject line should read “Director of Finance & Operations”
No phone calls please.