Now Hiring: OPEN Research Communication Associate
The Ohio Policy Evaluation Network (OPEN) is a research collaborative of scholars from the Ohio State University, University of Cincinnati, and Case Western Reserve University that conducts rigorous, impactful, and forward-thinking social-science research on the reproductive health of Ohioans, Kentuckians, and West Virginians. Our interdisciplinary research projects assess reproductive health outcomes, equity, access, cost, and autonomy in the context of federal and state laws and policies. OPEN is committed to the scholarly pursuit of new knowledge to support reproductive justice, health, and equity.
OPEN recognizes the strength that results from a diverse team. We especially welcome applications for the Research Communications Associate position from people who are members of communities that are underrepresented in academia. OPEN does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or religion. Applicants may articulate in their cover letter which identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences they will bring to the team.
OPEN’s impact relies on strategic and innovative methods of dissemination and clear, timely, targeted communication to our multiple overlapping stakeholders, including healthcare providers, advocacy organizations, policymakers, scholars, journalists, and patients. The Research Communications Associate is a key member of the Communications Core and works collaboratively with the core to lead these efforts by translating research findings, creating accessible products, identifying and securing media opportunities, and sharing our research with target audiences. The Research Communications Associate reports to the OPEN Principal Investigator at Ohio State University, in close collaboration with the OPEN Principal Investigator at University of Cincinnati.
Research Dissemination (50%):
• Design accessible, clear, and attractive research and policy products for target audiences using Adobe Suite and Canva. Products may include infographics, recruitment flyers, briefs, reports, newsletters, videos, and one-page fact sheets.
• Manage OPEN’s social media presence, including creating content, maintaining an opportunity calendar, soliciting content from OPEN team members, and tracking analytics to assess reach.
• Manage the OPEN website, including keeping it updated, liaising with website developers, and tracking website usage and metrics.
• Keep the OPEN team, university government relations and communications counterparts, and external audiences apprised of OPEN research developments, including newly published articles, media engagements, upcoming events, and products.
• Pursue opportunities to give interested party testimony on proposed legislation and support OPEN researchers in the preparation and delivery of testimony.
Strategic Planning (20%):
• Along with the Communications Core co-directors, conduct strategic planning for OPEN’s communications to respond to rapidly developing policy changes and the needs of external stakeholders and OPEN team members.
Media Engagement (20%):
• Develop relationships with local, state, and national media outlets (print, online, podcasts, radio, TV, etc.) and maintain a database of media contacts.
• Strategize and proactively pursue media opportunities for OPEN researchers to speak about research findings and current events.
• Identify opportunities for OPEN researchers to publish opinion editorials; help write and edit opinion editorial drafts and pitch to media outlets.
• Liaise with university communications to draft press releases and pitch stories.
• Provide training and support to OPEN team members in preparation for media engagements, including preparing and reviewing messaging, sharing relevant resources, and facilitating practice interviews.
Process Management (10%):
• Lead OPEN’s Crisis Communications Team, including facilitating annual meetings, maintaining the Crisis Communications Plan, and managing communications responses.
• Ensure communications products and resources are available and accessible to all OPEN team members.
• Oversee OPEN’s process for tracking the status of publications, manuscripts, and conference presentations.
• Commitment to reproductive justice, health, and equity.
• Master’s degree with 3 years of related work experience or bachelor’s degree with 5 years of related work experience.
• Involvement in or collaboration with research, producing technical writing about research, and communicating about research.
• Ability to digest and summarize complex and technical research for a variety of audiences.
• Proficiency with Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Rush), Canva, Microsoft Office, and WordPress.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once.
• Excellent skills in organizing and creation of efficient processes.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Familiarity with graphic design, or an interest and willingness to learn.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Strong initiative, resourcefulness, and ability to move projects forward independently.
• Ability to build and maintain durable relationships with a wide variety of people, including internal team members and external stakeholders.
• Experience in public health, sociology, or reproductive health fields.
• Familiarity with the reproductive health policy landscape in Ohio and surrounding states.
• Desire to advance public health knowledge in the region.
To apply: https://go.osu.edu/OPENcommjob
Questions may be directed to: email@example.com