The Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) will provide strategic leadership and oversee day-to-day operational implementation on all global equity, diversity and inclusion policies, programs and practices for the organization. In this highly collaborative role, the Director will partner with senior leadership to develop, drive and communicate a holistic DE&I strategy at Human Rights Watch, infusing DE&I principles into our policies and practices. The Director is responsible for setting and implementing an overarching vision of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I), reporting directly to the Deputy Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer. This is a new role for the organization and will have a dedicated colleague to support them. Candidate will be based in one of our major offices, with an expectation of travel once it is safe to do so.
This position comes at a critical time – we have conducted multiple staff surveys and know what challenges our staff face and are looking for a leader to bring together disparate staff-led DEI efforts under a shared vision. We do seek a leader who has a deep understanding of the DE&I issues in the human rights field and who can consult and collaborate with staff to drive change. Our staff-led efforts include a DE&I taskforce and a dedicated group examining how colonial, slavery, and racial legacies as well as patriarchal and class divides impact our world/ work and our movement.
This position requires an inspiring, collaborative, courageous, innovative, and visionary leader with outstanding people and management skills. While the following areas of responsibility should be anticipated, the new senior leader should be prepared to play an active role in building and shaping the agenda over time.
– Develop and lead implementation of an organization-wide Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and initiatives and integrate a DE&I approach across functions.
– Drive leadership awareness, commitment and accountability for DE&I initiatives.
– Work with senior leadership to embed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion across the organization, acting as the subject matter expert on all matters DE&I, and applying DE&I principles to our programs, training & development.
– Develop the organization’s fluency in terms, concepts, and best practices related to DE&I.
– Work closely with Human Resources to ensure optimal attraction, development and retention of diverse talent and to promote belonging and staff engagement.
– Develop DE&I related initiatives that further the organization’s mission and values, engaging with and seeking input from our staff-initiated DE&I Task Force.
– Measure, track and analyze the effectiveness of DE&I initiatives to report on progress and identify opportunities for future areas of focus and be accountable for the evolution of our DE&I strategy.
– Develop and implement an external engagement strategy to communicate to various non-staff stakeholders (e.g. donors, prospective candidates, and the public) the importance of DE&I to our organization, our work, and the human rights movement
– Develop relationships with external partners and professional organizations to advance our DE&I goals. Support fundraising for DEI specific initiatives
– 10 years of experience of proven success in creating, leading and implementing DE&I strategies, with at least 2 years in a global organization with a diverse workforce
– Strong project management skills
– Ability to manage relationships throughout the organization, coordinating time and resources according to shifting priorities
– Demonstrated experience translating vision into strategy and delivering against the plan
– Experience leveraging data and analytics to develop insights and drive decision-making
– Enjoy program-solving and taking on challenges
– Strong written and/or verbal communication skills
– ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) experience desirable
– Experience in working with legal counsel and HR on workplace conduct issues.
For more information or to inquire about this role, please reach out to Kimberly Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org